Frequently Asked Questions
The Xypex crystalline system for concrete waterproofing is substantially different from traditional barrier products (membranes, cementitious coatings):
- Xypex creates a crystalline structure deep within the pores and capillary tracts of the concrete mass to prevent the penetration of water and aggressive chemicals. In contrast, barrier-type products function only at the surface of the concrete.
- Because Xypex is not dependent on surface adhesion to achieve its waterproofing effect, it is resistant to extreme hydrostatic pressure.
- Xypex is not subject to the deterioration problems encountered by membranes.
- Xypex can seal static cracks up to 0.4mm in width.
- Xypex is permanent, integrated and reactivates whenever moisture is present.
- Xypex reduces project risks by promoting self-healing of cracks up to 0.4mm static width and can be poured integrally with the concrete hence reducing the need for coatings and membranes.
A major independent testing laboratory performed concrete waterproofing tests on Xypex in accordance with Army Corps Permeability Specification CRD-C48-73. The results showed that a two-coat application of Xypex on 50mm thick 13.8 MPa porous concrete totally eliminates leakage at pressures of at least 123.4 m of head pressure (1.2 MPa), the limit of the testing apparatus.
Xypex Admix treated concrete samples, when tested under the same testing regime as for Xypex Coatings, was tested to 1.05 MPa (106 m head of water) and exhibited no measurable leakage.
No. Xypex contains no volatile organic carriers (VOC) and can be applied safely in enclosed surroundings. Xypex is approved by numerous country and state health and waterworks departments for use on structures which contain potable water or foodstuffs. A few of these agencies are listed below:
- Australian Water Quality Centre, Australian Standard AS/NZS 4020
- NSF International
- Swiss Federal Department of Health
- Japan Food Research Laboratories
- United Kingdom (DWI) Drinking Water Inspectorate
- Singapore Institute of Standards and Industrial Research
- Slovak Ministry of Health.
The crystalline nature of the Xypex waterproofing system provides many application advantages over traditional barrier products:
- Xypex does not require a dry surface; in fact, a wet surface is necessary.
- Xypex does not require dry weather to be applied.
- Xypex does not require costly surface priming or levelling prior to application.
- Xypex cannot puncture, tear or come apart at the seams.
- Xypex does not require protection during backfilling or during placement of steel, wire mesh or other materials.
- Xypex can be applied on either side of a concrete surface - the negative or the positive (water pressure) side.
- Xypex does not require sealing, lapping and finishing of seams at corners, edges or between membranes.
- Xypex is less costly to apply than most other methods.
- Xypex typically provides higher durability outcomes.
- Xypex typically can reduce application and construction timeframes due Xypex not requiring specific moisture conditions to be reached before application.